The Institution of Engineers Tanzania is registered under the Societies Act and is guided by a written constitution approved by its membership. The objects and purposes for which the Institution of Engineers Tanzania is constituted are to promote the general advancement of the science and practice of Engineering and its applications, and to facilitate exchange of information and ideas on those subjects amongst the members of the Institution and for that purpose, the Institution:
- Holds meetings for reading and discussing communications with bearing upon engineering or the application thereof or upon subjects related thereto.
- Prints, publishes, lends, preserves or distributes proceedings or reports, papers, communications, works or treatises on Engineering or its applications subjects connected therewith.
- Co-operates with Universities, other Educational Institutions, public/private educational authorities for the furtherance of Education and Training in Engineering Science and Practice and maintaining contacts with the Engineering Industry.
- Does all other things which its Council may think proper, including advising the Government, Public Bodies and other organizations or individuals on matters concerning Engineering and maintains close relationship with the Engineers Registration Board.
- Does all other things incidental or conducive to the attainment of the above objects or any of them.